Saturday, January 30, 2010

Easy as a . . . . WHAT????

The longer I teach, the more I realize that kids are kids no matter what race, social status, upbringing, religion, etc. I have definitely learned to never say never. That brings me to my latest episode of "Kids Say the Darndest Things"

Situation 1: Everyday I work in guided reading groups. This is a time when I get to work with 5 to 6 children and target their specific needs. Certain children need more encouragement than others, so I was trying to get the students excited by using reverse psychology. What follows is how the conversation evolved:

Me: Okay guys, this is a really difficult question, I don't know that you can get it. Do you think you are up for a challenge?
Students: Oh please Ms. Holloman, we can do it!
Me: Okay, even though the story doesn't specifically state what the main character's problem is, what do you think the problem is?
Student: Duh! His ears were cold, so he invented ear muffs to solve his problem! That was easy as a winkle!
Another student: Don't you mean easy as a weiner????

Needless to say I changed the subject.


Situation 2:
While walking my dog the other day (that would be the day before the snowstorm when it was 65 degrees outside!!!), I began to approach a group of girls "rollerblading" down the street. Keep in mind that my neighborhood is HUGE. There are three sections, the Bungalows, Scott's Mill, and The Green, so I don't know these kids. As Lacy and I approached the girls, ranging in age from 6 to 8, I hear, "What's up Peopllllleeeesssss!" All I could do was laugh!

Situation 3:
During dismissal on Fridays, a group of fifth graders come to my room for dismissal. Several of these students are my former students. As one of these girls was engaging in conversation with one of my current students, my current student proceeds to discuss one of her classmates, "Yeah, they are like SUPER BFFs, and she is like the most smartest, and like really pretty. . . " My response: "Oh my, I just don't know what to say."


That's all for this episode, I'm sure with the snow, there will be much more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment