Sunday, August 8, 2010

Welcome to the 21st Century Miss Holloman!

I guess I don't realize just how old I am getting. When I think about the number 27, it doesn't seem that old in the grand scheme of things, but to my students, it's ancient. When I first started teaching 6 years ago, I was only 11 years older than my students, so often when I would discuss events such as major hurricanes our state suffered, September 11, snowstorms, or even television shows such as Saved By the Bell, Full House, or Double Dare, a few of them had some inclination about what I was referring to. Not so much anymore! My current students were born in 2001 or later. The following are two discussions I had with my students that make me realize just how much time has passed and how different kids, life, and technology have become in just ten years or so.

What's That Noise??

A few weeks ago at the end of the school year, I was showing my students a video on lifeforms. Now, although my school is in a fairly affluent community, the school does still have to use old technology at times because, let's face it, education is poor. Anyhow, as the students were lining up, I was rewinding the video, and the following occurred (let it be noted that this occurred with my smartest child):

Student: Ms. Holloman, what's that noise???
Me: What do you mean? What noise are you referring to?
Student: That noise, the one coming from that machine (pointing to the VCR under the TV)
Me: Oh, you mean the tape rewinding?
Student: What is rewinding??
Me: (Laughing)
Student: Ms. Holloman, what are you laughing at?
Me: Nothing sweetheart, I just realized how old I am. That noise is the tape inside rewinding to the beginning, but you probably don't even know what a VHS tape is, much less rewinding.
Student: OHHHHHH. . . . I think my mom has some of those from when she was young. Yea, she does because my Dad had to go buy a special machine to play them because they don't work in the DVD player.


Text or Text??

At the beginning of the year, the first two weeks of reading instruction focus on teaching the students how to select reading materials that match their ability level and their purpose. In class, I refer to the reading materials as texts, because we try to get the students to realize that not everything they read is books. The following occurred:

Me: So, what would be your purpose in reading this text (referring to multi-media items)
Student: Well, because someone wanted to send you a text, you know (and she proceeds to make motions as if she is texting on a phone)
Me: haha, no, not that kind of text. Things such as letters, internet resources, etc.
Student: Oh, well you said text.



I have a feeling that the longer I teach, the older I am going to feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment