Sunday, August 8, 2010

Toilets for our "Mobile Village"

This school year my classroom is in a trailer. Our school is very large and contains approximately 14 mobile units. My current students had not had an experience in a mobile classroom to this point. The mobile units do not have a restroom in them, so we have to enter the building for restroom breaks. All of this being said, Friday afteroon, as we headed out to recess, I was having the following conversation with a few of my students:

Student A: I can't believe I made it through my first week of Fourth Grade!
Me: Were you afraid that you wouldn't make it through the week? I'm not that scary, am I?
Student A: Well, no, but I knew it was going to be hard, and I have never been in a trailer before.
Student B: Oh, I live in a trailer (stated with much excitement and expression)
Student A: You do?? (with disdain and almost disgust)
Me: Well, yes, you live in a trailer, but your trailer is much bigger than our classroom and it has nice things like its own bathroom.
Student B: Yea, we have a bathroom. Why don't our trailers have a restroom?
Me: Well, they weren't made with them. I'm not sure why.
Student A: They should have bathrooms.
Student B: Yea, they should just put a hole in the floor Ms. Holloman. Then we would have somewhere to go to the bathroom.
Me: Ummm. . . I don't think that is such a good idea. A hole, in the floor?
Student B: Oh, yea, that wouldn't work. Then everyone would be watching!


I see a brilliant engineer in the future, what about you???

No comments:

Post a Comment