This week my students once again did not disappoint. Let's begin with social studies, and from there the day just continued to go downhill!
This quarter we are studying the various culture groups that have immigrated to North Carolina, and as a result, have impacted the culture of our state. In reviewing what we had learned about African American immigration, I asked the students what it meant to be a slave. One of my "lovelies" as I like to call them, responded with "yeah, the slaves came here from Africa and were taken captive by rich people who put them in concentration camps." A fellow classmate couldn't stand the historical inaccuracy of this statement, so he responded with, "no, DUH. . . the concentration camps were a different war." And the State Department of Education wants to remove all US history prior to 1870 from the US History curriculum??? I'm thinking this might not be a great idea. . .
The second event occurred during dismissal time at the peak of the Valentine's Day sugar rush. In an effort to maintain my sanity, I was tuning out one of my students who had written a "lovely" song about Valentine's Day, and decided to perform it for myself, my student intern, and her classmates. As I had just stated to my student intern that she will be amazed at what she is able to tune out after 5 years of teaching, my sweetest, most innocent boy states "you know, if you were having a real performance, you would get tomatoes thrown at you easily." Needless to say, this was one of those, "I know I shouldn't laugh, but I just can't hold it in" moments. I was brought to tears by laughter.
They never cease to amaze me! Until next time. . .
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment